Sunday, June 14, 2009

Choosing a topic

Last week I had a conference call with my advisor to map out the next half of my program of study.  This conversation has me concerned about choosing a topic for my dissertation; a topic that I will spend a significant amount of time with over a period of at least a year, but likely longer.  I have a few basic interests and have focused most of my papers around a few different themes: Poverty, after school programs, and intimacy.  How do they combine or how do I extract a topic from those subjects?

I know that I want to research rural concerns and feel like tonight I am leaning towards teacher attitudes towards rural students living in conditions of poverty.  Quite often I can be heard referencing the expectations that teacher have regarding middle class standards for all students, even if all students don't come from middle class paradigms.  I am not sure if this would require a mixed-methods approach, but it seems at this point that it would.  Teacher, student, and parent interviews along with quantitative data collection regarding perceived attitudes and experiences would make a good combination for analysis opportunities.  

Is this a feasible topic?  Perhaps.  I suppose it is another discussion to be had with my advisor.  I would love to think that I am at least zeroing in a little, though... 

No comments:

Post a Comment