Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What am I doing here?

I am a part-time Ph.D. student at the University of Rochester in the Human Development program.  Some days I love it and know it's exactly what I want to be doing.  Other days, though?  I wonder what the hell I was thinking and if I will ever really finish...  But I have to.  I've come too far and spent too much to bail out on this thing now.  

Specifically, my program of study is Human Development in Educational Contexts.  This seemed a good fit for me because of my background in health education and community health initiatives, but also my work as a teacher and after school program coordinator and manager.  Human development is just looking at the process of growth and change, rather than the static conception of the individual.  In considering development, sociological, cultural, historical factors are all considered as impetus' for growth and change.  An individual does nto exist in a vacuum and is influenced by all aspects of culture and their environment.  Does a person create their environment or does the environment create the person?  

I am currently in my fourth semester.  I have completed the following courses:
-Issues in Social Science Research
-Managing Crisis in Schools and Universities
-Qualitative Research Methods
-Contemporary Learning Theories
-Research in Life Course Studies
-Using Quantitative Software
-Theories of Human Development

Currently, I am in Quantitaitve Research Methods and Research in Cognitive Development.  I have several courses left to complete in addition to a research apprenticeship (beginning Fall '09), comprehensive exams (begin Spring '10), and my dissertation research process (begins Fall '10).  All in all, I guess that I don't have that much left to complete.

I struggle with narrowing my research focus and hope that blogging will help focus the lens on this subject.  I know that I am interested in adolescent development and probably some lines of sexual behavior or development.  I also know that I want to focus on development of rural youth.  It can not go unnoticed that the development of rural youth is not the same as that of urban, or even suburban youth.  I'm just not sure yet and I guess that's okay.

Anyway, welcome to the inaugural posting of "Becoming a Researcher."  I hope we can stick it out.   

No comments:

Post a Comment